CSN Logo

Financial Aid FAQs

Getting Started

How can I contact the Financial Aid Office?

Meeting virtually with our Financial Aid Representatives is the best way to have all your questions answered.

· Meet Virtually using Microsoft Teams – Instructions are listed at the top of this page

· For general information, our call center is available at 702-651-4303 during normal business hours

· You can Contact Us with an expected response to be within 5 business days. When emailing our office, you must use your CSN email and include your NSHE ID (student ID number).

Where do I apply for Financial Aid?

Students should start by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at studentaid.gov. CSN’s Federal FAFSA school code is 010362.

In general, CSN will receive your application 3-5 business days after submission.

Our current academic year uses the 2020-2021 application, but we encourage you to complete next year’s 2021-2022 FAFSA as early as possible. The FAFSA opens every October 1st for the upcoming academic year. CSN’s academic years begin in Fall and end the following Summer. Students are also highly encouraged to apply for scholarships. Our Scholarship page is a great starting point for those looking for additional opportunities for financial aid.

How do I submit documents?

Our office accepts notarized documents electronically or by mail. It is strongly recommended you meet virtually with one of our financial aid representatives prior to the submission of any documents to ensure they are completed and submitted correctly. Instructions on how to schedule an appointment are listed at the top of this page.

The following forms must be notarized and include a color copy of the student’s (and parent’s for PLUS loans applications) unexpired government-issued photo ID (both sides). Students can receive in-person notary services through financial institutions (banks & credit unions), the USPS, UPS, and Fedex. *Documents from an online notary are not acceptable.

  • Educational Statement and HS Completion Forms
  • Citizenship documents (U.S. Passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Alien Registration Card)
  • Federal Direct Loan Application Forms
  • Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Application

If you do not wish to meet with a financial aid representative prior to submitting documents, you can Contact Us using your CSN email. You will receive an email with instructions on how and where to submit the appropriate documents.


Documentation can be mailed to:

CSN Financial Aid Office
6375 W. Charleston Blvd.
Sort Code WCD 126
Las Vegas, NV 89146

I do not see my FAFSA information in MyCSN account, what do I do?

There could be several reasons your FAFSA information has not appeared in your MyCSN account.

· All (financial aid) items in your MyCSN To Do list must be completed before a student can receive a financial aid award letter.

· Please ensure that you have completed the correct academic year’s FAFSA and included CSN on the application. The current year’s application is 2020-2021 (ends Summer 2021) and our school code is 010362.

· Your name, date of birth, or social security number are not matching on either the FAFSA or with CSN. If you are having issues correcting personal information on your FAFSA, please contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 1-800-433-3243. If your personal information is not correct at CSN, you may need to contact our Registrar’s office to update your information.

If you require additional assistance, please meet with a financial aid representative virtually by scheduling an appointment at the top of this page.

How many credits do I need to take to be eligible for Financial Aid?

For students who are Federal Pell Grant eligible, one class will provide some Pell funding for most students. Federal Pell awards are based on levels of enrollment: Full Time (12 or more credits), Three-Quarter Time (9 to 11.99 credits), Half Time (6 to 8.99 credits), and Less Than Half Time (3 to 5.99 credits).

Loans require students to be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits.

The Millennium Scholarship requires a minimum enrollment of 9 credits (subject to change).

Work-Study does not require a minimum enrollment level but is predominantly used only in the Fall and Spring terms. The Silver State Regent Work Award is predominantly used in the Summer term but requires enrollment in at least 6 credits plus additional criteria.

Other scholarships and awards have varying levels of enrollment.

Please contact the Financial Aid Office for information.

What is the status of my loan?

Loans can take up to four to six weeks to process from the date of submission. To ensure that your loan will be processed in a timely manner please monitor your MyCSN To-Do List and Communication Center. Additionally, continue to check your CSN emails should our office need any additional information from you.

If the four to six-week time frame has lapsed, students can Contact Us via email or schedule an appointment (instructions at the top of this page) to meet with a financial aid representative regarding their loan status.

What do I have to do to get Financial Aid for the summer?

Aside from registering for classes, there is very little a student needs to do. You will want to continually monitor your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and verify that you still have enough remaining Financial Aid for the Summer. This can be viewed on your MyCSN Financial Aid tab. If you still have questions, please schedule an appointment with a financial aid representative (instructions are listed at the top of this page).

How do I apply for College Work-Study?

Please visit the College Work-Study webpage for details of employment and eligibility criteria.

My family and I have experienced a significant change in our financial situation, can I be considered for additional financial aid?

You can contact our office by email to see if you qualify for a Special Circumstance appeal. Under limited circumstances, the Financial Aid Office, may be able to re-evaluate your eligibility for financial aid for the school year.

Financial Aid Awards

When will I receive an Award Notification?

In most cases, award notifications will be sent to a student’s MyCSN communication center and student email once they have successfully

1. Completed the correct year’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA),

2. Completed all related MyCSN “To-Do List” items,

3. Enrolled into classes leading towards their declared major

4. As well as, ensuring they are meeting all student eligibility requirements such as Satisfactory Academic Progress.

If you believe you have completed all necessary requirements but still have not received an award notification, please contact of office. You can schedule a virtual appointment at the top of this page.

My award was canceled. Why?

Student’s awards can be canceled for several reasons including but not limited to:

  • SAP suspension,
  • Lack of a declared major,
  • Incomplete Verification,
  • Lack of enrollment or enrollment in classes/majors that are not funded by Financial Aid,
  • New information sent by the Department of Education,
  • Some other unique student scenario

Our office is available via virtual appointments Monday-Friday (excluding Holidays). You can schedule a virtual appointment at the top of this page. Our call center is also available at 702-651-4303.

My Federal Pell Grant and/or other grants were adjusted. Why?

There are several reasons the Pell Grant may be adjusted:

  • Adding or dropping classes may lead to an adjustment of your awards
  • Verification resulted in a higher and/or lower EFC,
  • Department of Education notification,
  • Classes that are dropped or
  • Enrollment in classes that do not lead towards your declared major.

*Other grants can be subject to proration or minimum enrollment requirements.

If you have any questions, please contact our office.

What charges or fees does Financial Aid not pay toward?

Financial Aid does not cover new student fees, payment plan fees, excess credit fees, or any fines incurred by the student.

What is a "Census Date?"?

The Financial Aid census date is the date that a student’s enrollment is considered "locked" by the Financial Aid Office and allows us to correctly make calculations to a student’s Financial Aid Award. The census date mainly affects a student’s Federal Pell Grant Award. You can view the published census dates on our main Financial Aid Important Dates Page.

If I add late starting classes, can I get my Financial Aid?

For the Federal Pell Grant, it depends on whether you enroll before or after CSN’s published Census date. Federal Loans are not affected by the census date.

  • If a student registers in classes BEFORE census, they may be eligible for aid.
  • If a student registers for a class AFTER census, they will not be eligible for any federal grants.
Can I receive financial aid for a repeated course?

According to the federal regulations, a student can retake a class for credit and receive financial aid under the following scenarios:

(1) If a student fails a class, he/she can retake it to earn a passing grade.

(2) When a student has a passing grade (A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, P, or S), he/she can only repeat a class one more time for a better grade.

  • Ex: semester 1:  student takes Art 101 and receives a “D” grade.  Semester 2: student retakes Art 101 and receives an “F” grade. The student in this example can retake the Art 101 class but will not be able to receive financial aid for the class.
Does CSN offer the Federal TEACH Grant?

CSN does not participate in the Federal TEACH Grant program. CSN does offer a Federal TEACH scholarship through CSN's Early Childhood Education Program.


When will my Financial Aid disburse?

Disbursements will begin no earlier than 7 days before the start of the semester and will continue weekly through the semester. Please visit our Financial Aid page for disbursement dates.

NO disbursement of Financial Aid funds will be made to students who

  • have been selected for verification but have not successfully completed the process,
  • are not Meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), or
  • have not resolved any other eligibility issue involving their Financial Aid account
Can I attend classes if my Financial Aid is not processed?

Yes, but you must pay out-of-pocket until your financial aid is processed and disbursed. You can contact the Cashier’s Office to discuss your payment options.

What is the status of my Financial Aid disbursement?

The “Finances” section of your MyCSN will show you all activity involving your balance, payments, and financial aid disbursements.

· If your aid has disbursed, you can view when and how much under “Account Activity” (found in the drop-down bar)

· If your aid has not disbursed, you can view pending amounts and the scheduled disbursement dates under “View Financial Aid.” Please make sure to view the correct aid year and term.

If you require additional assistance, please meet with a financial aid representative virtually by scheduling an appointment at the top of the page.

When will I get my refund?

After the Financial Aid Office disburses the Financial Aid award, the Cashier's Office is responsible for crediting student’s accounts and generating refunds.

Please contact the Cashier’s Office for questions regarding refunds.


I turned in my paperwork for verification. What is the turnaround time before I am awarded?

The College of Southern Nevada Financial Aid Office has partnered with Inceptia, a division of the National Student Loan Program (NSLP) to help expedite the federal verification process. Please visit the Inceptia Verification Gateway or call Inceptia at 888-374-8427 for processing time and/or additional information.

How do I know if CSN requires any documentation or information pertaining to verification and/or C-flag?

CSN has partnered with Inceptia to help expedite the federal verification process. If your FAFSA application is selected for Verification, you will receive an introductory email to the email address you provided on the FAFSA. If no email was provided, you will receive an introductory postcard.

If other requirements are needed to be reviewed (such as citizenship, selective service, and other comment codes/flags), they will populate in your MyCSN “To Do List.”

Our office is here to clarify any questions or concerns you may have as a student. For general information, you can contact our Call Center at 702-651-4303. You may also schedule a virtual appointment at the top of this page.


How long does the Federal Loan Request Update form take to process once it is received by the Financial Aid Office?

Federal Loan update requests take 4 - 6 weeks to process. At the beginning of a semester, it might take longer to process as there are more Federal Loan Request Update forms being submitted.  We will then have to manually check the various Federal databases and reporting agencies to ensure that you receive the correct amount.

I have completed and submitted an Entrance Counseling Session, so why do I still have it on my "to do" list?

Please contact the Financial Aid Office (702.651.4303) we will need to research why we do not have your Entrance Counseling. Be aware that you have to (1) list CSN on the counseling, (2) ensure that you have completed the Entrance Counseling for undergraduate students - there is an option to select graduate students AND some students have completed the Financial Awareness counseling instead of the Entrance Counseling, and (3) have successfully submitted the counseling session.

I have completed and submitted my Master Promissory Note (MPN), so why do I still have it on my "To Do List”?

Please contact the Financial Aid Office (702.651.4303) to research why we do not have your MPN.  Once the Federal government approves the request (originated), the MPN should be automatically uploaded onto your account. Be sure that you have successfully completed and submitted your MPN.

When will my federal loans disburse?

If you are a first time borrower (meaning no prior loans or loan balances due to a pay-off or forgiveness), you will have a 30 day processing period as mandated by the U.S. Department of Education. If you already have a loan that has been previously disbursed, your federal loans will disburse 7 days prior to the start of the semester, unless there is an issue requiring resolution from the Financial Aid Office, other CSN departments, NSHE, or the U.S. Department of Education.

I submitted my MPN & Entrance Counseling on the same day. How long before CSN receives it?

CSN should receive Entrance Loan Counseling within 48 hours. The Master Promissory Note will show as received when a loan is originated (requested from the Department of Education).

How long does the Alternative Loan application take to process?

4 to 6 weeks. In order to ensure you keep your classes, please contact the Cashier's Office for payment options. The Financial Aid Office cannot hold you in your classes.

My Federal Loans were cancelled and I did not decline them. Can I have them reinstated?

Yes. Students will need to visit the Financial Aid Office and submit a federal loan update request form. If there is an external reason for the federal loan cancellation, CSN will inform the student.

Can I change/return my loan amounts?

Yes. If students have not accepted the federal loans offered on their MyCSN, please go to the accept/decline hyperlink on the MyCSN and click on the link.  Students can change their loan amounts here if they have not yet accepted the award. For students who have already accepted their awards, please visit a Financial Aid Office and complete the "Aid Change Request" form. If the loan has already disbursed and it is MORE THAN 120 DAYS, you will need to discuss this with your lender. Go to studentloans.gov to find out who your lender is and how to contact them.

I need a Federal Student Loan Deferment Form to be completed. Who signs it?

Students are referred to the National Clearinghouse, which is located on the CSN website. The National Clearinghouse will verify the enrollment status of the student and forward the information to the lender.

Where do I go to complete my MPN and/or Loan Entrance Counseling?

Students who need to complete the Loan Entrance Counseling, Financial Awareness, and/or the MPN should go to: studentloans.gov.

How do I accept my loans?

Log into your MyCSN and look for the accept/decline link. This is located in the "Finances" section. Click on the link and it will take you to your award page. You can accept, decline, or change the amount of the federal loans.

I accepted my federal loans on MyCSN. What now?

After you accept your award, you will need to make sure that you complete the Loan Entrance Counseling and MPN, which can be found at studentloans.gov.

Withdrawals / SAP / Past Due Balances

I owe a balance in MyCSN but I already received my financial aid for the semester?

If you did not receive enough financial aid funding to cover what you originally owed, the remaining balance must be paid out-of-pocket.

If you were initially disbursed funds that covered your semester balance but now see a balance you previously did not owe, then you should contact the financial aid office for the most accurate information. There are several reasons this may occur including withdrawing from classes.

What will happen if I withdraw from all or some of my classes?

If you withdraw from all your courses, you will be subject to the Return of Title IV (R2T4) calculation. This may require you to repay a portion of the financial aid that was originally received. If you withdraw from some of your courses, you may be subject to the Return of Title IV (R2T4) calculation.

Withdrawing from courses has major implications on a student’s academic success and their financial aid eligibility. In addition to a possible R2T4 calculation, students must also ensure they meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to be eligible for financial aid. It is strongly suggested that students contact our office prior to any withdrawal.

You can meet with a financial aid representative virtually by scheduling an appointment at the top of this page. Our call center is also available at 702-651-4303.

How does an incomplete (I), audit (AU), NR, F, or withdrawal (WD) from a class or all my classes affect my financial aid??

Depending on your situation, you may be subject to the Return of Title IV (R2T4) calculation which may require you to repay a portion of the financial aid originally received. Additionally, future financial aid may be affected if you do not meet CSN’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

If you require additional assistance, please meet with a financial aid representative virtually by scheduling an appointment at the top of the page.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the term used to define successful completion of coursework to maintain eligibility for financial aid. An in-depth explanation of the requirements and policy can be found on our SAP page.

How do I submit my SAP appeal?

Students who are SAP suspended and have sat out from receiving aid for at least one semester are eligible to submit an appeal.

Students must ensure they only submit fully completed appeals. This includes completing every section, signing where applicable, and attaching all documentation together in one submission. Instructions on how to submit all documentation are listed on the appeal, as well as, how to meet with a counselor or health science advisor. The Financial Aid Office will begin accepting appeals for an upcoming semester as soon as that semester’s enrollment period opens. Our office posts the SAP appeal deadlines for each semester on our webpage.

Important Information

  • You will be notified of a decision through your MyCSN account thirty days after the appeal deadline.
  • The decision of the SAP committee is final and cannot be appealed or re-reviewed.
  • A student is limited to only two appeals as a CSN student

Please download the appeals form from the Financial Aid Forms webpage.


I have questions about my scholarship(s). Who should I talk to?

If you have earned a scholarship and are wanting clarification of its terms and your eligibility you may want to contact the donor directly. If you have other questions you can reach our scholarship office here - Contact Us

What should I do if I must drop all classes and I was a recipient of an external scholarship or CSN Foundation Scholarship?

Typically, external scholarships are awarded for the academic year and require the student re-apply for future consideration. However, if your scholarship was awarded for multiple academic years, we recommend you communicate with your donor to inquire if exceptions or an appeal process will be considered for future semesters.

Why hasn't my Millennium Award posted? Is there anything that I need to do?

Most questions about the Millennium Scholarship can be answered by visiting the Millennium Scholarship page

How do I request an appeal of Promise eligibility determination?

The form is available online at Nevada Promise Scholarship Appeal. Please note that the form is used by the College of Southern Nevada (CSN) to review for eligibility for the Promise Scholarship. CSN cannot waive or change the statutory requirements set by the Nevada Legislature however, if you believe you met the requirements or have extenuating circumstances, please complete the appeals form with additional required documentation.

To secure your eligibility, please ensure that you continue to follow the guidance provided by the CSN Promise Office found on the Promise Scholarship page in addition to previous communications received from their office.

Promise Scholarship- NEW Applicants Only: I am confident I had fulfilled the relevant deadlines, yet received an email notification to the contrary. How can I confirm my eligibility?

Many new applicants may have received an email notification informing them of failing NPS eligibility requirements.  If any of the following cases apply to you, this communication may be the result of a data mismatch and may not reflect your actual eligibility status.

  1. If you are a new applicant for the 2020-2021 academic year who has not contacted the CSN NPS Office previously to update their office with your NSHE ID, please Contact Us via email and include within your message your current High School ID, NSHE ID, and first and last name.
  2. If you are a new applicant who has completed the New Student Orientation and experienced technical difficulties obtaining completion confirmation, CSN First Year Experience may have time stamped the completion of your orientation in their computer records. After reviewing their contact information here: https://www.csn.edu/fye request and include any corroborating correspondence from their office in your appeal.  Your Nevada Promise Scholarship Appeal must be submitted via email.  Please Contact Us for an email address to submit the documents.  The appeal must be submitted no later than Wednesday, April 1, 2020 by 11:59 p.m.
  3. Lastly, if you were notified that a FAFSA application was not received on your behalf but certify that the application was completed prior to March 1, please Contact Us for further guidance towards resolving your NPS eligibility as soon as possible.


How has BAH been affected since most courses are now online?

Beneficiaries who are required to have a resident course to qualify for resident housing should go to the CSN VETS Center website to review the requirements if courses which are considered a resident (converted and covered under COVID legislation).

Due to the closure, how can I meet with a VETS Academic Advisor?

Please  Contact Us with a request to meet with a VETS Academic Advisor.  Please provide your name, student ID number, VA benefit you are utilizing, the program you are interested in using, and a phone number you can be reached to schedule an appointment. VETS advisors can provide a signed degree sheet for new students or returning students changing their major (this requirement is waived for students pursuing a Health Science program). VA Advisors also can assist with course planning, Excess Credit Appeals, SAP appeals, and other advising-related tasks.  VA Advisors operate on an appointment basis and currently are offering phone appointments.

Is the VETS center open?

We are not physically on campus but are available to answer your questions if you Contact Us.   Students should use their CSN email when sending a message.  Please allow up to three business days for a response.

How do I submit my claim to the VETS Center if you are closed for in-person services?

Students who have used benefits before at CSN can submit their claim using the “submit online claim” on the CSN VETS page. If you are claiming benefits for the first time at CSN, please Contact Us to obtain our New Student Packet and Checklist of documents needed to establish your benefits at CSN.