Welcome to the Department of Counseling & Retention Services

Important Notice:

The Supplement Nutrition Assistance Program Employment and Training (SNAPET) is a new partnership with the Nevada Department of Welfare and Supportive Services that can assist under-resourced students in acquiring skills and education. Administered by the Department of Counseling and Retention Services, counselors assist SNAPET participants with academic, career, enrollment, and referral assistance.

Students who are currently receiving SNAPET benefits or who may be interested in learning more about the SNAPET program and other resources offered through Counseling and Retention Services should Contact Us

Who Counselors Serve / How Counselors Help:

  • Academic Challenges (self-referrals)
  • Academic Warning / Probation / Suspension Appeals
  • BAS-Project Management majors
  • College and Community Resources
  • College Success Strategies
  • Financial Aid Warning / Suspension Appeals
  • MyCoyotePLAN Early Alerts (instructor referrals)
  • Returning Students

How to Connect With Us:

  • Schedule an appointment (phone/email/web) through MyCoyotePLAN – Click Here
  • Email a counselor (scroll down and click on the envelope icon below the counselor's name)
  • Follow our Instagram Instagram Logo @csncounseling
  • Chat Mondays & Wednesdays from 5:00-7:00 p.m. on Instagram Live
  • Contact Us with general questions

If you are facing challenges due to the Covid-19 situation, we are here to help. You will also find many college and community resources here.

Advanced & Applied Technology Counselors

Haag, Mark, Cc Counselor

Haag, Mark

Cc Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-2668
Rafael, Emily, Cc Counselor

Rafael, Emily

Cc Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-4937

Arts & Letters Counselors

Palmer, Amy, E-Alert Lead Counselor

Palmer, Amy

E-Alert Lead Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-3615
Proctor, Erik, Cc Counselor

Proctor, Erik

Cc Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-5835

Associate of General Studies (AGS) Counselor

Hall, Rosemary, Cc Counselor

Hall, Rosemary

Cc Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-7375

Business, Hospitality & Public Services Counselors

Claxton, Shawn, Lead Counselor

Claxton, Shawn

Lead Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-7338
Conner, Valerie, Chair, Counselor

Conner, Valerie

Chair, Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-5645
Ortega, Luis, CC Counselor

Ortega, Luis

CC Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    702-651-3516
Pla-Cazares, Esther, CC Counselor

Pla-Cazares, Esther

CC Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    702-651-4387

Education, Behavioral & Social Science Counselors

Brady, Brad, Cc Counselor

Brady, Brad

Cc Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-5554
Bynum, Paul, Cc Counselor

Bynum, Paul

Cc Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-4746
Rodriguez, Gabriel, Cc Counselor

Rodriguez, Gabriel

Cc Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-5809

Science & Math Counselors

Betita, Kenneth, Cc Counselor

Betita, Kenneth

Cc Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-7508
Mzhickteno, Debbie, Cc Counselor

Mzhickteno, Debbie

Cc Counselor

Academic Counseling

email    |    (702) 651-7498


Academic Advisors:

If you need assistance with course planning, please schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor. Academic Advising webpage.

Health Science Majors:

If you have questions about any of the Health Programs, or wish to meet with a Health Program Advisor, please schedule an appointment with a Health Program Advisor.


How to Get Help with MyCSN?

The "MyCSN" student portal is a "one-stop" gateway for accessing your student information and communication center.

If you are having trouble accessing your MyCSN, password issues or any other aspect of your MyCSN account, you can access Getting Help with MyCSN

What School Is My Major In?

If you do not know which School your major is housed in, please visit our Academics Page.

How Do I Declare Or Change My Major?

To change from one program of study or major to another (including from personal-enrichment/non-degree seeking to degree-seeking, and vice versa) students must do so online from their MyCSN portal by following Declaration of Major Instructions.

Please note: Counselors cannot change majors for any student. Students must do this themselves.

When Does My Major Change Take Effect?

You will receive an email from the college shortly after you enter the change in your MyCSN to inform you that you have requested the change correctly.

You will also be able to view this message in your MyCSN Communications Center.

NOTE:  Approved declaration of major changes take effect the 1st day of the next semester following submission.

How Do I Transfer My Credits To CSN?

Getting your college transcript evaluated is an important step in transferring to CSN.

For instructions on how transfer your credits from other institutions to the College of Southern Nevada, please see Transferring Credits to CSN

What is the Excess Credit Fee?

CSN implemented the Excess Credit Fee in the Fall 2014 semester. This fee was adopted by the Board of Regents for the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) and applies to all NSHE colleges and universities. The policy requires that an Excess Credit Fee shall be charged to a student who has attempted credits equal to 150 percent of the credits required for the student’s program of study.

For more information on the Excess Credit Fee and if you can appeal the fee, see Excess Credit Information

What is the Cost of Tuition?

CSN tuition and fees are established by the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) Board of Regents.

View current CSN Tuiton and Fees Costs